IdP Metadata Cache

Jeff Masiello jmasiello at actionet.com
Thu Jun 19 10:34:01 EDT 2014

It appears in my relying-party.xml on the IdP it includes a specific metadatafile for this [articular service and the entity descriptor for this SP (foo) exists in that file as well as the aggregated metadata.
So
<metadata:MetadataProvider id="FOOSP" xsi:type="metadata:FilesystemMetadataProvider"
        metadataFile="/opt/shibboleth-idp/metadata/foo_sp.xml"></metadata:MetadataProvider>

but that EntityDescriptor also exists in...

<metadata:MetadataProvider id="FEDIDP" maxRefreshDelay="PT10M0.000S" metadataFile="/opt/shibboleth-idp/metadata/federation.xml" minRefreshDelay="PT5M0.000S" xsi:type="metadata:FilesystemMetadataProvider"/>

I updated both because we got it that way.
Questions:
1. Is there any point to doing that?
2. one of them has a refresh delay, the other doesn't. That has got to cause an issue. This works on the production server so I'm afraid to touch it.

Jeff Masiello