OJDBC Thin Driver Clarification

Joshua Riffle jriffle at apu.edu
Thu Jan 9 17:50:54 EST 2014

At APU we use an Application-managed Oracle Database data connector from
the IDP to store our targeted persistent ID's per the documentation
here<https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/ResolverStoredIDDataConnector>and
here<https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/OracleDBDataConnector>.
I noticed that the documentation indicates that the *ojdbcX.jar* driver
should be stored accessible to the IDP war file and in the
/path/to/shibboleth/lib
folder<https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/ResolverRDBMSDataConnector#ResolverRDBMSDataConnector-4aDefineIdentityProviderApplicationManagedConnections>,
but it *appears* to work just fine as long as the ojdbc thin driver is
stored somewhere tomcat's class path (I store it in /path/to/tomcat/lib).
Is there a reason that *ojdbcX.jar* should be include in Shibboleth's
configuration lib folder structure?

Joshua Riffle
Software Engineer
*Azusa Pacific University*