Login to a third party SAML app that's in an iFrame

Eric Goodman Eric.Goodman at ucop.edu
Mon Aug 4 12:22:03 EDT 2014

I'm absolutely certain that there has been discussion on this topic in the past, but Google or my Google skills are failing me (my searches only return a 2008 thread apparently from before the problem was well understood).

We have a page that is protected by a SAML SP. This page acts conceptually like a portal, but it's actually just displaying data from a third party application via an iFrame. That third party application is itself protected by a (different) SAML SP.

So my question is: How should one authenticate the SAML SP protected application that's hosted in the iFrame? The design goal is to keep the content of that application within the iFrame (securely).

I can think of several approaches to try, but again, I know that this has been discussed here and that there is an existing store of thought and knowledge on the topic that I'm just not seeing. I am happy to accept links from better Googlers than myself rather than detailed responses!

Thanks,

--- Eric