student developed apps going commercial ...

Steven Carmody steven_carmody at brown.edu
Thu Apr 24 14:46:41 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm guessing we're not the only campus facing this situation ...
students develop web based apps for the community. Initially these apps
run on campus-owned machines, and we agree to release to them the set of
attributes our policy allows us to release to on-campus apps.

The app sees some success, and the students decide to take it
commercial. They'll make it available to multiple campuses.
Interestingly, tho, their business model doesn't have them signing
contracts with each campus, or any campus; they make their money some
other way.

As part of that transition, tho, they lose the "on-campus app" tag that
we've applied. That means we won't release attributes to them.

But, we don't have a standard commercial contract with them. But, to
allow them in our metadata, we have some leverage, and could require
that they sign some form of agreement. Could be a contract, could be as
simple as an NDA referring to the attribute values we release.

We would also probably require that they provide answers to our standard
cloud-based vendor form -- that's not a full-blown audit, but we do want
to know something about their operational practices.

Finally -- the question -- how are other campuses handling this situation ?

Thanks for any info you can share !