IMAP and Shibboleth

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 8 10:19:23 EDT 2014

On 4/8/14, 10:13 AM, "Dave Perry" <Dave.Perry at hull-college.ac.uk> wrote:

>It seems tight that no one (other than Microsoft with OWA), that I know
>of, has written a webmail client that can connect to an inbox without
>needing the actual password.

Google at least has, but they rely on a browser for the login and it's not
so much done for a portal to be able to access the inbox, it's for a
colocated IMAP client with the browser. But I imagine it can be made to
work given that's OAuth based.

> It's almost like there's a need for an IMAP or web service running on
>the email server that is trusted to access any inbox using 3rd party
>(i.e. shibboleth) authentication.

Well, you can always root the portal, but that's not really an answer
other than to hack around the fact that there's no good answer.