Can a single SP front multiple disparate applications?

Christopher Bongaarts cab at umn.edu
Mon Sep 9 11:03:24 EDT 2013

On 9/7/2013 10:55 AM, Bryan E. Wooten wrote:
> We get requests for all kinds of attributes, some reasonable some make you
> scratch your head. Many want things like dept id or or org id or
> enrollment in a particular class / major or "chart field" (for billing
> purposes). We have one app that needs to know whether or not a student
> lives in campus housing.

FWIW, we release all of these except for the chart field to at least one
SP (using local attributes).

We don't use the departmentNumber attribute since we have a composite
attribute that contains it and apps frequently want to use something
else in the appointment data (e.g. "faculty in History") that you
couldn't determine from LDAP/Shib's unordered attributes.

> Then there is the request by one dept to have a student's complete
> historical record of majors / enrollments available via LDAPŠ.

One function I could see requesting that would be persistent access to
an online textbook for students who are taking or who *have ever taken*
a class.   One of the nice things about printed textbooks is you can use
them for reference later in your career...

--
%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts   %%  cab at umn.edu          %%
%%  OIT - Identity Management  %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%