Load balancing both the SP and IdP

Martin, Andrew J. AMartin at towson.edu
Wed Oct 23 08:55:32 EDT 2013

Brian,

We're in a similar situation in that we want high availability, but we haven't been able to take the time to work out the clustering aspects of Shibboleth.

So - in our environment, we came up with a compromise:

We use a BigIP F5 Load balancer to define a pool of two IdPs with identical configurations. However, rather than it being truly load balanced, we configured the F5 pool to always prefer one box, assuming that one box is up. If not up, the F5 will fail over to the alternate node within a few seconds.

The most important part is that only one Shibboleth IdP is receiving requests at once, which resolved the "stickiness" issues you mentioned. It also makes upgrading a snap since we can test new upgrades and configurations on the "passive" node without necessarily affecting production.

This has worked pretty well for us, though at some point we'd still like to move to the clustering options you mentioned. While I wouldn't recommend this over proper clustering, it may be better than having just a single node.

-Andy