IdP stopping metadata retrieval

Martin Haase Martin.Haase at DAASI.de
Thu Nov 14 03:50:47 EST 2013

Hi,
this happened on two schools we support, one with 2.3.6 and one with
2.4.0. The IdPs were otherwise healthy and working for months, but
stopped to retrieve metadata for 3 different URLs at the same time.
Environment is CentOS 5, Tomcat 6 prepped by Apache2.2. The two schools
are in separate net segments. The 2.4.0 school is a terracotta-cluster
of two, here only one instance is affected. Pretty default configuration
for FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider. The metadata signing certs are still
valid. When I restarted Tomcat, metadata were fetched fresh again.
I can only see one suspicious item: The time stamps of the metadata
backup files was Nov 4. At that time, I see in the logs that one
metadata source was unavailable temporarily, "Error retrieving
metadata". After that time, I cannot grep any occurences of "metadata"
in the process log.
Do you have an idea?
Cheers,
Martin