IdP & SP testing Environment (VMware)

Ian Young ian at iay.org.uk
Tue May 28 03:00:25 EDT 2013

On 27 May 2013, at 21:32, Gilles Badouet <badouetg at uni.coventry.ac.uk> wrote:

> What issues will I face if I set up an IdP and SP testing environment through VMware workstations.
> I would like to do so by deploying the SP on a virtualized Windows Server 2008 and the IdP on a virtualized Windows 7.

For testing purposes, probably the most common stumbling block is clock synchronisation.  Depending on host OS, guest OS and VMware product, this can be either no problem at all or a complete pain.  Some refs:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/276965/how-to-keep-a-vmware-vms-clock-in-sync

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/Timekeeping-In-VirtualMachines.pdf

I think most people have historically found Linux to be the most likely to give problems, though.

	-- Ian