unsigned authN requests

Nate Klingenstein ndk at internet2.edu
Wed Jun 5 20:29:50 EDT 2013

There's not in practice much value to be gained by signing an authentication request because of the other checks in the SAML 2.0 Web Browser SSO profile.  If any of those fields is mucked with by the user, it will generally have no practical consequences and/or cause the request to fail.

The only major exception, I think, is forceAuthn="true", and an SP can validate the authentication instant to ensure that a fresh authentication was received.