Occasional SAML exception during SP/IdP handshake

Saimon Moore saimonmoore at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 05:13:58 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm setting up a Shibboleth Service Provider and have it now working pretty
well in our staging environment.

Most times I can successfully complete the authentication round trip but
occasionally I get the following exception on the initial request to the
IdP (from the EDS and before authenticating with the IdP).

    opensaml::FatalProfileException

    The system encountered an error at Thu Jul 25 19:16:47 2013

    To report this problem, please contact the site administrator at
support at example.org.

    Please include the following message in any email:

    opensaml::FatalProfileException at (
https://shibtest.teambox.com/Shibboleth.sso/SAML2/POST)

    SAML response contained an error.

    Error from identity provider:

        Sub-Status: urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:status:AuthnFailed

After clearing cookies and retrying it works fine.

I was hoping someone could provide some pointers as to how I can go about
debugging this issue.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Saimon Moore