Can Shibboleth IdP handle something like Domain/Group?

David Bantz dabantz at alaska.edu
Tue Jul 2 21:21:55 EDT 2013

A seemingly very similar question is pertinent to my institution.  We have multiple instances (dev, test, full-scale test, prod, & training) of the ERP and some other central services.  The identities in these instances are distinct but typically overlap (that is, "I" may exist in each instance, but with different attributes and credentials).  As these services migrate to central (or "external" from their viewpoint) authentication, it would be nice not to have to replicate central authN for each instance.   That is, it would be convenient and more scalable and supportable if a single IdP recognized that the test service instance used test identities, mutatis mutandis, and authenticated and passed attributes accordingly.

 But do I correctly understand Scott's answer to entail that each service instance will need its own corresponding IdP and directory or other identity repository?

David Bantz