Session destruction relative to loadbalancer setting?

Russell Beall beall at usc.edu
Tue Jan 15 12:57:33 EST 2013

Been a while getting this fixed ,but the department finally rearranged the application pools and got the log to be writable.

Now the native.log clearly indicates that the session is being destroyed because the IP address sometimes appears to be that of the loadbalancer and sometimes appears to be that of the actual client workstation.

This is strange because it should always just appear to be coming from the loadbalancer.  Something in .NET or something else they have installed on the system must be rewriting the X-Forwarded-For header into REMOTE_ADDR.

I tried to get them to fix the filter so that it would always show one or the other IP address, but this hasn't seemed to work, so the only other option is to disable the IP address check that the SP does.

I thought there was an easy config setting to disable that check, but now I can't find it.  Is there such an option?  Is this safe to do, or does that open the door to man-in-the-middle, or some other attack?

Thanks,
Russ.