need feedback: immediate move of Atlassian Confluence Shibboleth Authenticator to new repo

Gary Weaver garysweaver at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 09:36:56 EST 2013

Hello,

I'm the current maintainer of the Confluence Shibboleth Authenticator (the
authenticator that many in higher ed use with Atlassian Confluence to
authenticate via Shibboleth) originally written by Chad LaJoie for
Georgetown Univ. who had open-sourced it. After consulting Chad, I moved
the authenticator to its current home at Atlassian. It went through a few
homes while at Atlassian, first as part of their community subversion
repository, then as part of their Jira Studio instance that they hosted for
those developing community open-source projects.

This is the current wiki, which appears to be down at the moment:
https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/SHBL

Joe Clark of Atlassian Developer Relations sent an email on December 19,
2012 letting us know that:

"In order to ensure that your source code and other information is not
lost, you will be *required to migrate your projects off this server no
later than February 5th, 2013*."

So, again, Atlassian is asking us to move the project. This time they are
saying that we can either move it to bitbucket (which they provide again
for free), github or some other free-hosting repo (or paid), or we could
pay annually for them to transition our Jira and svn instance and hosted it
through their paid service. I'm leaning against the latter because I don't
have money to put into it each year to have them host it.

Recently, I moved another plugin that Atlassian was hosting for a project I
was managing over to GitHub, since I do everything else in GitHub these
days, and despite my longstanding good relationship with Atlassian, I don't
want to move projects to BitBucket only to be asked a few years later to
move it to something else (no offense to Atlassian as I know they have to
make money somehow). I have high hopes that GitHub will continue to do
well, and I think they do a great job at hosting and providing services for
free with basically no limitation on repo size (if it gets beyond 1GB they
ask you to trim it, but it shouldn't get that big, even if we use their
services to host the jars, which they can do).

I notice that someone else has already created an internet2 account at
GitHub that appear to be focused on django: https://github.com/internet2/

So, first: does anyone have a problem with hosting this project at GitHub?

Does anyone know who owns the internet2 group at GitHub or who has a
similar group (shibboleth, etc.) that might make a good place for the
Confluence Shibboleth Authenticator project?

I would even say that maybe the Internet2 project could host it, but I like
the forking/etc. utility provided by GitHub and think it is a much more
easy and collaborative way to handle open-source projects than other
alternatives based on my experience so far.

Anyway, if I don't hear back, I may end up just create a new group in
GitHub like "atlassian-shibboleth" or similar and put it there.

This is your project and I've just been helping as I can and want to make
sure that it doesn't disappear in a few weeks.

Let me know if you have any feedback, and note that I'm no longer working
for Duke Univ., that I'm just doing this in my spare time now, and I only
become a member of this list periodically to send a shoutout for things
like this, so please contact me directly at my gmail address in the future.

Take care,
Gary