Shibd session cache cleanup running every second

Christopher Bongaarts cab at umn.edu
Mon Aug 26 16:29:36 EDT 2013

On 8/26/2013 3:22 PM, Wessel, Keith wrote:

> Got some odd behavior on an SP here on campus, and I want to know if
> this is out of the ordinary and if we should/could do anything about
> it. We're getting the following in the shib native log about every second:
>
> 2013-08-26 14:40:19 INFO XMLTooling.Config : xmltooling 1.5.3 library
> shutdown complete
>
> 2013-08-26 14:40:19 INFO Shibboleth.Config : shibboleth 2.5.2 library
> shutdown complete
>
> 2013-08-26 14:40:20 INFO Shibboleth.Config : shibboleth 2.5.2 library
> shutting down
>
> 2013-08-26 14:40:20 INFO Shibboleth.Config : reload thread finished
>
> 2013-08-26 14:40:20 INFO Shibboleth.SessionCache : cleanup thread exiting
>
> The particular SP is a pretty busy one. In fact, we noticed this issue
> earlier today when shibd was randomly dieing. I had the admin bump up
> the RAM as they had maxed that out and were well into swap, and it's
> not dieing now, but it's still logging that every second. We haven't
> had this kind of load on that server before. They moved to Shib this
> summer, and it's the 1^st day of classes here.
>
> Is it unusual to see that every second? Sure seems like it should be.
> If so, what can we tweak to change that behavior?

If they are running Apache prefork on a busy server, or worker with a
low worker-per-process count, I'd expect to see a lot of those messages,
yes (it's basically a normal process termination for an Apache child).

--
%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts   %%  cab at umn.edu          %%
%%  OIT - Identity Management  %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%