Removing/fixing shibboleth stats in Apache logs

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 18 11:56:53 EDT 2012

On 9/18/12 11:52 AM, "Roland Tanner" <roland at tannerritchie.com> wrote:

>Could you give me an idea of the knock-on effect changing the REMOTE_USER
>might have? I'm reasonably sure it doesn't effect how our application
>works, but better make sure. Fixing awstats or tweaking Apache logs is
>probably the better way to go, you're right.

Well, what does your application require? REMOTE_USER is mapped from one
or more attributes and you have to decide what set of attributes are
acceptable for use as an identifier. Using more than one is supported but
that doesn't mean it makes sense for the application, and changing it
after the application is live breaks any existing associations people
might have with their data.

You are also responsible for what an eduPersonTargetedID looks like to
your application. That's your serialization choice.