Terracotta Sessions

Chad La Joie lajoie at itumi.biz
Thu Mar 29 17:58:01 BST 2012

If by "development" machine you mean one where code might be changing,
don't put it in to the pool.  Our Session objects haven't changed in
quite a while but if, for some reason, they did and the serialized form
were different you'd start getting strange runtime errors as soon as you
deployed that new code on to the dev machine.

So, as always, the rule is "keep development out of production".

On 3/29/12 12:28 PM, Christopher Bland wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for a little guidance or a best practice.  I am deploying a
> two node IDP cluster using Terracotta.  I will be adding Terracotta to a
> development IDP to create a quorum in my cluster.  My first thought was
> not to link Terracotta and Tomcat on the development machine since the
> development machine is stand alone.  It occurs to me that if I link the
> two together I can test upgrades and other maintenance prior to
> deployment on the production IDPs.  The second approach seems the better
> option but will I have session issues.  The hostnames will be different
> so I will not have cookie issues but I am unsure of handling session
> ids.  If someone can shed a little light on how sessions are handled I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Chris

Chad La Joie