Do I configure multiple Location containers if all vhosts share the same location

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 5 17:08:46 BST 2012

On 6/5/12 11:59 AM, "csross" <cross at hccs.com> wrote:

>My shibboleth2.xml has a generic ApplicationDefault entityID
>(sp.example.org) and I use ApplicationOverride to specify the entityID,
>applicationID, MetadataProvider, Sessions and SSO entityID for each vhost
>that is protected.

If you do that, it's much more work. You should have specific reasons for
doing it, not just because you think it should be that way. So far, I
haven't heard one, and I can tell you that juggling an entityID per
customer is almost always the wrong answer. Not always, but usually.

>1)  If I do not specify any applicationID in the apache22.config, does
>that
>automatically assign 'default' and then reassign the applicationID set in
>the ApplicationOverride for that entityID?   Reassign is just the word I
>chose to describe what I am thinking.  If this won't assign the correct id
>this way, I'm thinking I need to create a separate Include file for each
>vhost.

Everything maps to default out of the box. If you want to override
something, then you need a setting for applicationId to do that. The
setting can be in Apache space or in the RequestMap and the strong advice
is to do it in Apache because that can't be circumvented.

>2)   I want each entityID to use the items that are defined in
>ApplicationOverride, and any defaults not defined there.  Will this
>accomplish this please?

Mostly. The documentation is the canonical source for how inheritance
works.

>3)  Can I redefine anything in the ApplicationOverride that is allowed the
>default section?

Yes. This is covered in the documentation.