[SciFed] Tomcat 6 requirement for Shib IDP

Chad La Joie lajoie at itumi.biz
Wed Jan 25 18:22:18 GMT 2012

Yes, this specific bug actually affected versions of Tomcat 6, as
well, prior to 6.0.17 (hence the reason that's the minimum supported
version).

So, to be clear, to the best of my knowledge Shib strictly adheres to
the relevant Java and HTTP standards.  Tomcat, however, does not and
that causes problems.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 13:19, Nate Klingenstein <ndk at internet2.edu> wrote:
> Dhiva,
>
> I asked the lead developer of the IdP for details as to why Tomcat 5 is not
> supported.  Apparently Tomcat 5 has a problem parsing
> specification-compliant cookies that they have chosen to not fix, with the
> suggested remedy of "upgrade to 6."  As a result, we can only support Tomcat
> 6.
>
> Tomcat 6 packages are available directly from the Tomcat project's website:
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi
>
> Future distributions of the IdP with an embedded servlet container would
> hopefully reduce the amount of package management you'll need to do.
>
> Hope this answers your question,
> Nate.
>

> On 1/25/2012 17:37, Dhiva wrote:
>
>>> https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/IdPInstall
>>> The Shibboleth Identity Provider, version 2, is a standard Java web
>>> application based on the Servlet 2.4 specification.
>

>>> https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/IdPApacheTomcatPrepare
>>> Apache Tomcat 6.0.17 or greater (NOT 7)
>>> Java 5 or greater (Java 6 recommended )
>
> My issue here is that Redhat/CentOS machines does have Tomcat 5 packages,
> but NOT tomcat 6.
> But the servlet specification is indeed 2.4, which matches with Shib
> requirement.
> I have used jpackage.repo in the past, but it is not consistently providing
> tomcat 6 packages for Redhat/CentOS.
>
> I would like to stay with Redhat/CentOS Package Repository, so i wanted to
> know if Tomcat 5 along with the OpenJDK.
>

> thanks
> dhiva

Chad La Joie
www.itumi.biz