Franchise access being authenticated by our Shibboleth IdP

Keith Carr kecarr at sgul.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 17:01:58 GMT 2012

On 23/02/12, Keith Hazelton  <hazelton at doit.wisc.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2012, at 10:26, Keith Hazelton wrote:

> > > Ahhh, I understand. I do store the user's entitlement in LDAP (e.g; "student" or "staff") and this is supplied to the resource. I guess the answer would be to have a new entitlement given to the franchised users (e.g. "franchise") and to those resources that they have access, add it to the list of entitlements they accept?
> > > -Keith
> > >

> > It would help this conversation if we could agree to use the terminology from the eduPerson specification:
> >

> > student and staff etc. are affiliations.
> >

> > common-lib-terms is an example entitlement
> >

> > Here at UW-Madison we manage all this by associating a list of entitlements with an affiliation.  So "students" get entitlements to email, calendar, wiki, library, rec. sports, etc.
> >

> > We "flatten" this in our LDAP and in our SAML assertions via business logic: That is, if Jane Swift is a student, then attributes in LDAP and/or SAML attribute assertions might include:
> >

> > eduPersonGivenName: Jane
> > eduPersonSurname: Swift
> >

> > eduPersonScopedAffiliation: student
> >

> that should read eduPersonScopedAffiliation: student at wisc.edu
>

> > eduPersonEntitlement: email
> > eduPersonEntitlement: calendar
> > eduPersonEntitlement: wiki
> >
> > eduPersonEntitlement: library
> >
> > eduPersonEntitlement: recreationalSportsFacilities

> > How does that line up against your case?

Hi (other) Keith,
That makes sense. Do you "flatten" the entitlements to one attribute value in ldap or one in each of a multi-vlaued attribute?

However in our case it's tricky. As I stated to Chad:-
"Franchise A" always have access to SP 1, SP 2 and SP 3 and nothing else.
"Franchise B" always have access to SP 1, SP 2 and SP 4 and nothing else.

So I would need to "share" a new entitlement with our SP's in order to differentiate the new franchise.

-Keith