socket call resulted in error (98): no message

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 20 17:53:57 GMT 2012

> Platform: RHEL 5
> Web Server: Apache (not started yet, in the past, I've started shib first, and
> then apache).
> Error occurs during startup:
> jstaplet at xpe10gt-cs-1 (1) 12:20:33 ~ > sudo /usr/sbin/shibd
> listener failed to initialize

You should always use /etc/init.d/shibd to start the service. Whether that's the problem I don't know, but in the future that will be critical for various reasons.

Ordinarily I'd say SELinux is the problem, but that normally affects Apache talking to the socket, not the initialization. So I'd say more likely the socket is in use and there's a stale socket file. Using -f would clear it, which is I believe the default behavior of the init script.