IDP Initialized SSO - IdPUnsolicitedSSO

Zmuda, Matthew R Matthew.R.Zmuda at td.com
Wed Dec 12 09:12:50 EST 2012

Thanks Scott, very helpful information.

When you say "Better model: go the the second app, repeat usual flow, done."

Would that be something like this:

IDP --> App1 (User logs in as usual)
App1 --> App2 (App1 sends user to App2 with some unique ID that symbolizes authenticated session)
App2 --> IDP (App2 sends AuthN request to IDP using the unique ID provided by App1)
IDP --> App2 (IDP responds with AuthNResponse)
App2 --> Establishes authenticated session and redirects user to target resource

Why do you say IdP initiated a bad thing? Seems that it would simplify this scenario to something like this:

IDP --> App1 (User logs in as usual)
App1 --> IDP (IdP generates AuthNResponse)
IdP --> App2 (Sends AuthNResponse)
App2 --> Establishes authenticated session and redirects user to target resource

Thanks,