[Shib-Users] IDP 2.3.0 memory hungry? Or something else in our setup?

Christopher Bongaarts cab at umn.edu
Thu Aug 4 17:10:41 BST 2011

Wessel, Keith William wrote:

> I seriously doubt removing the Rhino optimizer will help, but I'm
> definitely willing to give it a shot. Russ, as you said in a previous
> list post that I found in the list archives, Rhino's documentation on
> exactly what to remove and what to update in the JVM environment is
> sketchy to say the least. Can you point me to more specifics on this?
> Consulting Dr. Google didn't seem to turn up much beyond a basic page
> on decreasing the Rhino footprint (that lacked specifics on how to
> remove the optimizer) and your previous list posts.

FWIW, it helped immensely with our IdP, which makes use of several
scripted attributes.  I remember having a hard time finding details of
what to do too, but the jist of it is:

- Extract the rhino-V###.jar  (jar -x)
- rm -rf org/mozilla/javascript/optimizer/
- Repack rhino-V###.jar   (jar -c)
- Replace rhino-V### in shibboleth-identityprovider-2.#.#/lib/ with the
  deoptimized version
- Run the shib installer to rebuild the idp.war file

--
%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts   %%  cab at umn.edu          %%
%%  OIT - Identity Management  %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%