Shibboleth Identity Provider V5.0.0 Beta 1 now available

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 10 19:25:30 UTC 2023

We don't normally announce these formally, but in the interest of more visibility...

A first beta release of our next major Identity Provider release is now available at [1]. Along with the IdP itself, we have posted signed copies of all of the various plugins, which all require updates of varying scopes, to work with 5.0.

A short how-to for testing plugins is available at [2].

We have a pretty lengthy draft of Release Notes at [3], still working on other material related to installation (mostly around the Windows side), not really much different about the standard process.

While there is a lot there, that's more about completeness. We have done a lot of work to turn "it will break" into "it will warn", though a few edge cases remain outside of that. Obviously, fixing existing warnings prior to testing an upgrade is presumed.

Some general points:

- No, I don't know when the final release will be, that really depends on the testing that happens or, failing that, internal determination. A month out would be great, 6 weeks is probably more likely. Much beyond that is unlikely.

- We have not set a final date for V4's EOL, though it is likely to be sooner than Dec 2024 but not a lot sooner. It can't be longer.

- Obviously, don't run this in production or it's at your own risk, yadda yadda.

- This is not likely all of the final versions of dependencies we will ship, there are some signing keys we're working to verify and some possible breakage to deal with before we can put a fork in it. At least one or two definitely still flag CVEs, though nothing we're exposed to.

Enjoy,
-- Scott

[1] https://shibboleth.net/downloads/prerelease/identity-provider-5.0.0-beta1/
[2] https://shibboleth.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/IDPPLUGINS/pages/3256057857