Shibboleth Service Provider V3.3.0 now available

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 30 13:40:27 UTC 2021

The Shibboleth Project has released a small update to the SP software, V3.3.0, and it is now available from the download site [1] and packages for supported platforms on the mirrors. [2]

Release notes are not yet updated as there's not much to say I won't be noting here but I will get them in place today. This is not a significant update in any functional sense, and is primarily just a cleanup/rollup of some small fixes, library updates on Windows, and a sweep of the code to add deprecation warnings to more at risk features.

The main reason for the version change is to signal a change in how the packages are being produced and a change to the supported platforms that we have publically noted a few times. Specifically, macOS is now an unofficial platform we do not support for production use, and we have changed the set of Linux platforms by dropping SUSE (which has its own packages) and adding Rocky and Amazon Linux.

The RPMs are no longer produced online by the OpenSUSE Build Service but using a local, Docker-based process. This is a much faster process for us but it expands and constrains what we can support at the same time. As a result, a number of older platforms for which we have been unofficially producing packages but not supporting for some years will not see further package updates starting with this release.

Some of this is also in response to the CentOS changes coming next year, and due to CentOS 8 no longer representing a fixed OS target, we will be dropping official support for it as of the end of this year, though it's possible packages may still be produced for it in the future as part of our process.

Amazon announced their plans for a Fedora-based Amazon Linux 3 coming next year and this will probably be added as a supported platform as soon as they produce stand-alone images for it.

Lastly, we want to note that this is probably the final minor version of the software in its current form and new features are unlikely. Attention will be shifting in 2022 and 2023 to redesigning the SP [3] into a much smaller native footprint alongside a Java-based appliance that performs the work of shibd today. This will represent a large and likely breaking change to much of the way the SP is configured and works, so if you find that non-appealing for your needs, this is a good time to be evaluating alternatives.

-- Scott

[1] http://shibboleth.net/downloads/service-provider/latest/
[2] http://shibboleth.net/downloads/service-provider/latest/RPMS/
[3] https://shibboleth.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SP3/pages/2110391683/DesignNotes