Shibboleth Identity Provider V3.0.0 Released

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Mon Dec 22 10:53:48 EST 2014

The Shibboleth Project is pleased to announce the first official release
of the third-generation Identity Provider software, V3.0.0, after more
than 2 years of active development. A substantial redesign, this release
includes a large number of new features along with a modernized
architecture to support our activities moving forward. An informal list of
new capabilities was noted on our mailing list. [1]

Thank you to the community members who have provided testing time and
feedback over the last year, particularly Kaspar Brand of SWITCH and Nate
Klingenstein of Internet2 for performance testing assistance.

The software is available in archive form for both Windows (zip) and
non-Windows (tar.gz) platforms and via Windows installation packages for
both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows and Java. [2]

Installation documentation and the configuration documentation we have
been able to produce to date can be found in a new wiki space [3]. We will
be working on the final reorganization of the documentation spaces in the
near future.

We have some additional releases planned throughout the Spring and Summer
to pick up bug fixes and add new features that slipped from this first
version [4], and you can be assured of a very simple upgrade process going
forward from any 3.x release.

Per our versioning policy [5], V2.4.3 of the IdP software has been
transitioned to our previous stable release category.

While the End of Life date for the V2 Identity Provider product line has
not been officially determined, it is under active discussion and the
Consortium Board and Project team plan to make a decision and announce the
EOL date by the end of March 2015. (Note that the Service Provider is
independently versioned, and is not affected by that announcement.)

[1] http://marc.info/?l=shibboleth-users&m=141416026106304&w=2
[2] http://shibboleth.net/downloads/identity-provider/latest/
[3] https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/IDP30/
[4] https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/DEV/Work+Plan